The Electoral Commission was formed with the certification of the Electoral Act 2016 on 10 March 2016.
The Electoral Commissioners were then appointed:-
Joseph Cain Electoral Commissioner
Corinne Joram Deputy Electoral Commissioner
Sylvanna Deireragea Deputy Electoral Commissioner
A prescribed function of the Electoral Commission is to adopt a Code of Conduct. Electoral Act 2016 Sec 6(5)
Electoral Commission Code of Conduct
- We will comply with this Code of Conduct and all relevant legislation and follow Commission policies, directions and procedures.
- We will seek to achieve the best use of our funding and resources.
- We will demonstrate responsiveness by:-
- providing frank, impartial and timely advice to the Government, candidates and the media.
- providing high quality electoral services to the citizens of Nauru
- identifying and promoting best electoral practice
- We will be honest, open and transparent in all of our dealings, using our powers responsibly and striving to earn and sustain public trust of a high level.
- We will maintain the security of electoral documents and ballot papers and carefully manage their transportation and storage.
- Gifts, favours or hospitality of a nominal value will be declared on the gifts registry.
- We will be impartial in all our dealings with candidates, Government, the media and the public.
- We will make decisions and provide advice on merit and without bias, favouritism or self interest.
- We will not participate in any political or social activity that may affect our reputation or bring the Commission’s independence into question.
- Confidentiality of information will at all times be respected.
- We will not discriminate on the basis of disability, age, race, gender, family status, religion or political belief.
- We will respect the rights of the individual and will treat each other courteously. Harassment or bullying of any kind will not be accepted.
- We will exercise courtesy, consideration and professionalism when providing services to our customers or dealing with stakeholders.
- We will demonstrate leadership by actively implementing, promoting and supporting this code.
Adopted by the Electoral Commission – 8 April 2016