Polling has started at 9am in three districts, Anabar, Ijuw and Anibare to elect one Member of Parliament for the current Parliamentary session. 9 Candidates have been nominated and approved to run for the seat.
NEC preparations were complete on time and all polling and counting staff have been trained and materials made ready: The number of polling officials is:
- Anabar – 1 presiding officer, 4 election officials & 2 police officers
- Ijuw – 1 presiding officer, 4 election officials & 2 police officers
- Anibare – 1 presiding officer, 4 election officials & 2 police officers
Voters on the roll for the By-Election are:
- Total no. of voters – 716
- Anabar – 304 (male – 155 / female – 149)
- Anibare – 232 (male – 110 / female – 122)
- Ijuw – 180 (male – 72 / female – 108)
This includes 63 first time voters (people in the districts who have turned 20).
The roll is made up of voters who voted in AIA for the 2016 election – which elected the current parliament. New transfers into AIA districts after 2016 elections are not able to vote. Voters who transferred out of AIA districts after 2016 must come back to vote.
Key points for polling day
• Voting is from 9am to 6pm – Vote early – don’t wait to the last moment – if you are not in line to vote by 6pm you will be turned away;
• A bus will circle the island from 9am to 3pm to carry voters who need transport
• Bring ID;
• Your vote is secret – the NEC is committed to providing every voter freedom to vote according to his/her choice. We work hard to protect your freedom;
• The Law prohibits campaigning and wearing candidate supporting items within 200 Meters of a polling station. Please respect the voter’s right to a neutral space where they can make their choice – keep all campaigning outside the 200m.
About The Author: Electoral Commission
More posts by Electoral Commission